Summertime is a battle against damaging your hair. Split ends are the result of fraying the hair shaft due to excessive heat, dryness, stress and excessive use of chemicals. Split ends can make your hair look dull, damaged and even frizzy. To win the battle against damaged hair, you need to know how to help prevent split ends.
- The best way to prevent split ends is to learn healthy daily habits to ensure the best care for our hair. By using proper hair care, you can also strengthen your hair and improve elasticity and shine.
- Brushing your hair correctly is very important. Avoid using a harsh brush on your hair instead opt for a cushioned paddle bush with flexible bristles. Make sure to only use a brush on your hair when its dry.
- Don’t wash your hair every day. Washing every other day allows the natural oils to help protect your hair. Apply shampoo to the crown of your head and lather downward keeping your hair straight.
- Condition your ends. Apply conditioner directly to the ends of your hair and leave it on for a few minutes. For additional conditioning, use a leave-in conditioner afterwards.
- Do not bunch your hair in a towel. Wrap a towel around your hair and squeeze different areas to pull out the excess water.
- Brushing wet hair will make it more susceptible to tearing. Only use a wide tooth comb on wet hair. This will help manage your hair without causing breakage to the ends.
- Anything that uses heat to style your hair can damage it. Try to style with as few of products and let it air dry. If you must use a hair dryer avoid placing direct heat on the ends of your hair until absolutely necessary.
- Get regular haircuts. When getting your hair trimmed, cut about an inch to an inch and a half above the split end. Split ends will continue to grow if you don’t take care of the damaged hair.
- Use high quality hair care products. Consult your stylist for recommendations.